I don't know if Cher will end up working as a mentor/coach on the singing show The Voice, but I've started watching the first few episodes anyway and where have you been all my life, you lovely singing show???
I've been three years drying out from that negative bitch-fest American Idol and The Voice is so much more heart-warming and fun! The talent is so much better, too, and more diverse!
I was listening to commentary last week about why the show is doing so well (and why X Factor was tanking) and the commentators chalked it up to "blind judging still being novel to audiences." But I think it's the warmth and humor of the show, I really do. These are some of the things I loved:
- Being spared really bad auditions and judges writhing in pain over them,
- I love those red chairs and how they dramatically swivel around!
- The variety of people and singing styles,
- The good feeling I feel when judges love on people who don't make it,
- The good feeling I feel when judges put the singers in the power-seat by begging for them to come onto their teams,
- The camaraderie and mock-competition of the star judges,
- And Cee Lo Green, who I'm a long-time fan of. He makes the closest thing to a perfect record as I've ever heard.