Be on the lookout for new TV clips, magazines, songs and useless junk to fill your fan-shelves. I know…how can we be so excited about Burlesque when our country is going to hell in a hand-basket. Well, at least the Puppy Mill Proposition Passed in Missouri. That’s somethin.
Anywho, we have lots of Cher stuff to divert our attention today. What I love about the Burlesque release is that we are getting so much information this time through the web…very exciting. And everything is so multi-sensory: beauty products, music, interviews and retrospectives in magazines, movie clips, contests, dancing, singing, drama, scenery…lots to enjoy. Everything but a Burlesque fragrance (which I would imagine would be arm-pit funk…that is IF they wanted to be authentic).
Major TV and Music
- CHER will be on David Letterman's The Late Show Thursday on November 11 (thanks to Cher Scholar Tyler for the heads up)
- You can also catch a full preview of Cher singing “Welcome to Burlesque” on youtube. Search for it until it gets removed.
- You can also hear a clip of her song “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” here: http://www.kbsradio.ca/News/Entertainment/Story.aspx?ID=1305905
Small article on Cher as Glamour Woman of the Year: http://www.glamour.com/women-of-the-year/2010/cher (the birds totally rock that picture...even they're fans!) Big news here: she has plans to direct her first film. Accolade of quote: "Cher is one of a handful of entertainers to win a Grammy, an Oscar and an Emmy, and she's sold 100 million albums over her career."
Cher will be on the cover of Vanity Fair (with awesome NEW photos)...this drops in NY and LA Nov 4. The rest of us plebes have to wait until Nov 9. (thanks again to Cher Scholar Tyler for the dates). But here are some previews:
- Vanity Fair's own style retrospective online (I love their title for the Caesars Palace poster dress: "Rip, Torn." This retrospective has Bob Mackie commentary. Coincidentally, the picture at the top is in the retrospective online and is an outfit Cher wore on the cover of Vanity Fair in May 1986): http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2010/12/cher-chutzpah-slide-show-201012#slide=1
- Excerpts of the article (Cher talks about Chaz, avoiding drugs, Sonny's control over her, and she stands up for his songwriting, saying S&C should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame):
- Pics and a b-roll video from the photo shoot that show why she is so cha-cha-cha amazing: http://www.cherworld.com/news/?p=1324
My fabulous cousin alerted me to Cher’s six-page style retrospective in the November issue of In Style. Cher actually comments on the pictures herself in this one…so this is an above average retrospective. My favorite line from writer David Keeps:
“Lady Gaga? Please.”
On a side note, there’s a picture of her with Val Kilmer. Kilmer lives a town near us called Pecos. John has co-workers who live there and gripe about Kilmer's being a jerk to the locals. Kilmer put his house on the market last year for 33-something million dollars and recently downgraded the sale by 10 million. I don’t know who would need to pay tens of millions for a house in New Mexico since you can get a pretty swell mud-hut for a couple of million. But I digress.
Opi Nail polish: You can get the minis in red or the little teasers. http://www.google.com/products?q=nail+polish+burlesque+opi&hl=en&aq=f
Here are some color swatches: http://beautyofasite.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/opi-holiday-burlesque-swatches-part-1/
Names and descriptions for the 12 full-size bottles:
* Simmer & Shimmer – In this glitter bit of blue.
* Let Me Entertain You – Multi-talented fuchsia glimmer.
* Sparkle-icious – Multi-color glitter-iciousness
* The Show Must Go On! – With this deep pink shimmer on your nails!
* Ali’s Big Break – This glowing red shimmer breaks through in style.
* Tease-y Does It – In this tempting burgundy shimmer.
* Rising Star – Lustrous glimmering gold.
* Glow Up Already! – You’re ready for this glittering green.
* Bring On the Bling – A gold that glitter that’s beyond dazzling.
* Extra-va-vaganza! – This orange glitter is not for the shy.
* Take the Stage – A warm orange spotlight shimmer.
* Show It & Glow It! – If you’ve got this fuchsia glitter, flaunt it!
Hairspray by Sebastian: This was supposed to come out Oct 1 enclosed with a movie ticket but they have yet to be seen anywhere. Stay tuned. http://modernsalon.com/Article.aspx?oid=1275479
• Limitless Liquid Liner Pen in Jet Black
• Shadow & Liner Quad in Risque
• Loose Shimmer in Burlesque
• Double Ended Lip Gloss in Peep/Show
Or you can fork over $80 for the large case exclusively at Nordsroms as described below...
Sultry, provocative, sexy. Bring out your ultra-glam side with this collection of limited-edition shades and products inspired by 'Burlesque.' Re-create looks featured in this film about a small-town gal who makes it big in Hollywood in the new film premiering November 2010.
- Hyperlash Mascara in Blackout.
- Limitless Liquid Liner Pen in Jet Black.
- Double Ended Lip Gloss in Peep/Show.
- O-Glow Intuitive Cheek Color.
- Cream Eyeliner Palette in Vixen.
- Eyeshadow Quad in Entice.
- Fusion Soft Lights in Tease.
- Loose Shimmer in Burlesque.
A tiny brochure comes inside with instructions on how to “get that look,” that look being: "Stardom" or "Nightclub"
Awards Daily is predicting a few songs from Burlesque may be nominated for Oscars this year:
Burlesque / “Bound to You” – Performed by Christina Aguilera
Referred to as the “voice of her generation,” Christina Aguilera makes her theatrical film and musical debut as the lead character in Burlesque. Her electrifying vocals on the films track “Bound To You” will remind you why this starlet is a 5-time Grammy winner!
Burlesque / “You Haven’t Seen The Last Of Me” – Performed by Cher
Music has very few living legends, but Cher is one of them. She commands the screen in her first starring role in a decade, performing “You Haven’t Seen The Last Of Me” written by the incomparable hit maker and six time Oscar nominee Diane Warren (acclaimed writer of Cher’s past megahit “If You Could Turn Back Time”). This ballad is a true show stopper in this film.
Win tickets to premier:
- A Cher meet and greet with this one too…to benefit The Cher Foundation: http://cgi.ebay.com/Meet-Cher-2-Tickets-Burlesque-Red-Carpet-Premiere-/180579110513?pt=Tickets_Experiences&hash=item2a0b5a8e71
- Sebastian Hair is doing a giveaway too: http://www.sebastianprofessional.com/en_US/burlesque_sweeps/index.jsp
MTV Burlesque dance contest: http://burlesque.live.seven2.net/
News of when the contest stopped in my hometown (who recently passed the Puppy Mill Prop): http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2010/10/burlesque-mtv-dance-contest-in-st-louis-this-saturday/
The official movie web site: http://www.burlesquethemovie.com/
An early review (is the movie out for reviews yet?): http://www.thedailyaztec.com/entertainment/film-fashion-issue-burlesque-has-dance-drama-cher-1.2376355 Quote of note:
Burlesque has dance, drama, Cher
Complete with a number of inventive musical routines, a star-studded cast and a juicy plot, "Burlesque" is sure to please. The film is similar to its 1995 predecessor "Showgirls," and what it lacks in racy nudity it makes up for in creative performance. Aguilera offers her contribution not only as an actress but also as a writer for the film's soundtrack. Writer and Director Steven Antin pulls out all the stops with this musically inspired romantic drama.
Article from the LA Times on the costume designer Michael Kaplan (who also did Blade Runner, Fight Club and Flashdance): http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/31/entertainment/la-ca-sneaks-burlesque-20101031 Says he was inspried by surrealist Rene Magritte and "a bit of Man Ray." Quote of note:
"Cher always put her imprint on everything she was wearing. I'd put clothes in her room every day and she'd walk out combining them in a different way than I thought she would. Cher and Tess are not that unalike...both are show business troupers."
Press conference photos: http://www.wireimage.com/gallerylisting.asp?navtyp=gls====460251&source=rss&nbc=1
Lots of new Cher toys to play with, huh?